A regular professional teeth-clean is a great way to prevent dental problems arising. Our hygienists can help you with an overall strategy of good dental care, led by your own efforts at home, and you’ll prevent most dental diseases from ever occurring.
Six monthly visits are usually sufficient, but some of us need to go more often. We can advise on what is right for you.
Our hygiene appointments include information on the following:
- The right toothbrush for you, plus brushing techniques and tips.
- Flossing and interdental brushing techniques.
- Products and techniques for cleaning implants, bridges, dentures, braces and other restorations.
- Care for teeth after oral surgery.
- Rinses and mouth-washing.
- The best and worst foods and drinks for your teeth.
- Tips for fresh breath.
- Everything you need to know about caring for your children’s teeth.
What are the aims of hygiene therapy?
- Stage 1: Education in oral hygiene
Your hygienist will begin to show you the skills and techniques used to achieve a healthy mouth.
- Stage 2: Removal of all deposits above and under gum line and around tooth margins
Removal of hard deposits of tartar above and below the gum line with special ultra-sonic instruments and techniques. Periodontal aids may be prescribed and used, e.g. floss, tapes or interspace brushes. Your hygienist can also assess plaque control and improve your daily oral hygiene routine if necessary.
- Stage 3: Stain removal
Cosmetic stain removal of external dietary staining on teeth surfaces for a healthier, brighter and more confident smile.
- Stage 4: Maintaining oral health
At this stage you should now have achieved good oral health, and if this is maintained, you will retain healthy teeth and gums for life. Your hygienist will continue to remove any hard and soft plaque deposits during your regular visits and help refine the skills you have acquired.
Contact the practice to book an dental hygiene appointment: 01480 453215.