Crowns and Bridges
A crown is a custom made cover over your own tooth, restoring function and aesthetics. It protects a tooth with a large filling from breaking, allowing you to chew comfortably and with confidence. It is usually recommended to prolong the lifespan of the tooth.
Different types of white crown:
- All Porcelain or zirconia crown – a very natural aesthetic appearance, achieving a translucency and opalescence, particularly useful for front teeth. It avoids “metal margins” seen after the gum recedes over time, and can chemically bond with your tooth enamel making it strong. Also reduced hot/cold sensations due to lack of electrical conductivity. Cosmetically, these are the most appealing but they’re usually reserved for use on front teeth.
- Porcelain bonded to metal crown – improving the look of the tooth while maintaining strength. These can be done on front or back teeth.
Each type has different advantages and disadvantages. Your dentist can help you decide which will best suit your needs. We discuss the material, shape, size, position and colour of the crown or bridge at the consultation, depending on your needs.
Bridges are designed to fill gaps left when one or more teeth are missing and are a fixed appliance solution, meaning you don’t need to take them out at night like dentures!
They come in several types and traditionally use your existing teeth as support for ‘bridging’ your gaps. The supporting adjacent teeth are prepared to become part of the bridge, and, once cemented in place, provide a seamless continuity of appearance and function.
Types of bridges:
- Adhesive/Resin bonded bridge – an adhesive bridge is non destructive and relies on an adhesive “wing” attaching to an adjacent tooth.
- Conventional bridges – this bridge uses the teeth either side of the gap as support. The teeth are prepared as for crowns to allow creation of a unified bridge and then cemented as a single, fixed appliance.
- Implant-retained bridges – this bridge uses dental implants and achieves the closest-to-natural restorative results, offering exceptional strength and aesthetics. A bridge can allow you to once again enjoy the foods you love and to smile with confidence.
For further information on any of these services or to book an appointment, contact us on 01480 453215.